Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hey, New Game! #SignKeepDrop!

Sign Keep Drop!

"Ever wish you could run a record label? Here’s your chance…sort of! Ever since a majority of you were little snot nosed booger pickers, you’ve craved something to call your own. As some of you got older, you were exposed to this thing called hip-hop; a pass time that let you live through it vicariously.

We had our favorites coming up. Some of us loved Biggie. Some of us loved Tupac. A batch of us couldn’t stand Nas’ poetic excursions, which swayed us to Jay’s flashy tales of Cristal and Benz coupes. While on the other hand a crop of us appreciated Nasir’s “realistic” take on life and his perspective from the other side of the tracks.

We’d argue about who was better, who we’d sign, who’d we drop, who’d we pair up for a mixtape and even an album. And of course, the chatter of “Who would you sign to your label” was endless.

In an atmosphere where new, established, and veteran artists are getting signed, dropped, traded and everything in between on a daily basis, it’s almost as the consumer is dictating such moves. Radio isn’t as influential as it used to be. Mixtapes are becoming debut albums and blogs are the new A&R reps.

And since I love to debate on issues such as these, I decided to share my opinions and theories with my faithful followers of SoundOff because I know for damn sure EACH and EVERY one of you is just as opinionated as I am- AINT THAT RIGHT?

So, without further ado I”m pleased to present a new installment that I like to call “Sign, Keep, Drop”. It’s simple- I list three artists in the order of “Sign, Keep, Drop”. Within that list, I will give specific reasons and theories as to why I’m delegating the choice of “Signing”, “Keeping” or “Dropping” them. Tempers will flare and feelings will get hurt.

And if you’re an artist reading this, refrain from taking this personal and airing me out on a blog. I didn’t see none of that hostility when your label dropped you, so why flex muscle on me??? READY, SET, GO!"

there is a lovely explanation from UHTN's Blogger LowKey's BET Blog, Sound Off. He's been playing the game on Twitter(/TheBlackStarr, follow me. :] ) for a bit and he introduced it on the blog. The game is fun and mind boggling at times, so as he said on that excerpt, READY, SET, GO!

Sign: Being this is the Hip Hop Freshies Edition, lets see who is getting Signed. Heres the ten XXL Freshmen Wale, B.o.B, Charles Hamilton, Asher Roth, Cory Gunz, Blu, Mickey Factz, Ace Hood, Currenc$y, Kid Cudi. Now, the one who'd be SIGNED to my label? Definetly Kid Cudi. I mean, dude fan base is the one half of thoses who are mainstreams and do not care for music-- but the others, actually like the music. His music isn't rap. It's not Jazz. it's like a really big vat of colors. Now, these colors aren't nessecarily mixed to make that ugly Grey it will always turn to, you can SEE the diffrences and appreciate them. Dude can sing. Dude can rap. He is a musician. So yeah. :)

Keep: Next is the keep. Who would be staying on my label? Well, this may be odd to some of you but Im taking Currenc$y. Dude is the connect to the hood, persay. His rhymes are well, albeit, dope. No album, and he has been around for like, awhile? Word. He was on Dedication 2 (AKA The Last dope thing Lil Wayne came out with). Yeah, so thats whats up. How High is extra dope. If I could, I'd sign Wiz Khalifa & Currenc$y together as like a group. But oh well. I'll do groups next time, maybe they'll make that draft round.

Drop: Ooooooo. Hahahahahaha, this is fun. I'm not even going to sugarshit it. Bisher Roth, buh-bye. I mean, your cool. You get stoned. You rhyme. We get it. Really, I don't see the depth of the rhymes. I don't see anything to you. If you were to my (Gay-Friendly) label, you'd probably be forced to come out since I could see you being pretty VOUGE off camera then all macho Women blow my wingding, lets blow some dro BLAH BLAH BLAH. Seriously. Album was wack except for like three tracks. Me thinks that he needs to step the pen game up and come out.

so yeah, first installment of SIGN KEEP DROP on THIS site. Any other place doing it has prolly been doing it for a while. lol. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment